Schilke is talking about baked, epoxy lacquer.  That's what is on  commercial
instruments and some smaller makers do this.  Bruce Lawson says  this stuff
has about a 15% dampening effect on the horn sound.  We use  acrylic lacquer
and it is not baked.  This is much thinner and has very  little dampening
effect, under 2%,  The disadvantage is that it does not  hold up as long as the
baked epoxy.  I've had two instruments gold plated  with no change to them.  I
have never been able to discern any difference  in the playing qualities of an
acrylic lacquered horn, before and after.  I  have always felt a difference in
an epoxy lacquered horn.  That's why so  many Conn 8D players had their horns
stripped as it improved the sound and  response.  If you are thinking about
lacquering your horn, I think you will  be happy with the look of either
material
but expect a different response and  sound with the epoxy but less longevity
with the acrylic.

KB

In a message dated 4/22/2007 1:40:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,