Hello John, one thing is very interesting to observe here on
this list:

As soon as I posted which had to do with personal
discipline, nobody (nearly) reacted to that. I said: to keep
the silver plating shiny & intact, one has to clean off the
finger prints by a micro fibre towel available in super
markets in packs of two for 3.- $ (around). This is a very
simple task, everybody must perform like brushing the teeth
in the morning. Very, very simple. Putting the (nice) horn
back into ist case during a break with the orchestra, - just
a matter of discipline or habit. Water empying the horn
after playing, - basic discipline. Sitting upright, pushing
slides full in before leaving the horn alone for acertain
period of time, - new habit.

Is it so difficult, to change one´s habit ?????  Written f2
(topline) played on Bb-side using 1st valve instead of
getting it very low or cracking it, - just a change of
habit. No sugar (candy) before playing or teeth brushing, if
candy is necessary to keep one alive..... All very simple
tasks. Arriving at the place of the rehearsal more than five
minutes before the rehearsal´s beginning, - professional
habit. Not to play up & down on stage before the concert,
entering the stage all together quickly, standing at ones´s
place, making a bow together, be seated together, - very
professional = 50% of the success.

All out here on the list, believe me, discipline is one half
of the business.

Discipline in observing all expression marks, dynamics, not
playing music like tooot-tooot-toooot, - it sounds like on
the cemetary too often, means very, very boring. Sing the
music, etc.etc.etc. - never ending story.