Re: Getting Ready Emotionally for Beeth 9th.

  (I too, not too long ago, played A1 on the 9th. - it was a gas!)

  Ed Lisk writes of a 5 tiered level to get to where you want to be emotionally
to perform.  Roughly the first 3 levels are acquisition of the mechanics and
architecture of the music and recognition of patterns, keys, etc.  Most of us
can read well enough that we can skip right to level 4 - competent playing of
the music. Level 5 is more or less that hyptontic trance we get in when we lose
all sense of time and place and its just us and the music in it's purest sense
- the fun place!  Somewhere I read that this place in the brain is abutted
right up against the sex part of the brain (which may explain a lot!)    I've
gotten some books of self-hypnosis, and can often just in the 30 seconds or so
before the downbeat I just say to myself "here we go!" and slip into that
trance and just play.  And then there is Oberon.   I find myself losing the
trance before a particularly difficult (mental) spot.  I have to work on that.
Oh well. That's the beqauty of what we do.  We never
 really master it....though it seems some of us manage to do so...but I have a
feeling that's from the outside looking in.

  The book is for School Band and Orchestra Directors.  It's called "The
Creatine Director", and its published by MENC, I believe.

  bh in MT