Larry Jellison wrote:
So far, eight detailed and thoughtful responses to a
mundane and trivial problem (Hans, you are so right!).
 Wish we could get this kind of response on the more
interesting and thought provocative issues.

A larger issue suggested by this question and its variety of serious responses is how one deals with questions that one deems as too simple for serious discussion. The questioner did the Right Thing by asking; the answerers did the Right Thing by answering.

Those who saw the question as too dim to bring to this forum have perhaps unknowingly opened up very interesting and deep questions, but these are questions about education and psychology, not about spit valves. 40+ years in the ed biz suggest to me that it is best to answer all serious questions seriously, to not criticise the questioner for having asked, and in cases where one senses that the questioner has unknowingly tripped an alarm of a higher order, to be prepared to deal with the larger issues seriously.

       {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
       { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }