Dear List,
I play on a Holton 281 (a Farkas horn with a rose brass screw bell) and I have a problem with the edgy sound. I am going to describe it as best I can, if something is unclear, let me know and I will try to clarify before someone gets angry (I realize that might take all the fun out of it). There is a point on the dynamic spectrum at which I can no longer play with a 'normal' tone. At this point, which isn't very loud, the sound gets edgy and I don't feel that I have much control over the tone quality. For some time now, I have tried without success to get this problem under control. I realize that this brassy, edgy sound can sometimes be desirable as an effect. However, the undesirable sound is produced whether I am trying to sound brassy or not. Is there a set of etudes for this kind of problem? I would appreciate any advice on the subject. Thanks in advance.

William Foss

Paul Ingraham's advice to young horn players:
Find a good teacher. Practice diligently. Watch what you say to your colleagues.