Steve wrote:

"Physically, we don't really have a choice about intonation. Our ears create overtones based on whole number multiples of whatever frequency is being sounded. We can't escape that. This was understood as far back as the ancient Greeks. That's why an in-tune interval is so satisfying. Our bodies are not constructed to be able to accept tempered tuning!"

This may be true, but I can't help wondering about the "charm" of rag time music played on an old out of tune piano. When I was a college student, my piano playing friends loved to visit my parents' home to play jazz & rag time on our huge old upright piano that hadn't been tuned in more than two decades. I hated that piano because I coudn't play Chopin on it, but they loved it for it's sound & feel! So ... what's with that?

Valerie, Balanced Embouchure student