From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Robson Adabo de Mello
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:32 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] RE: Is it necessary a descant when
you have a triple?

Thank you guys for the answers.

The descant has a lighter sound that is more appropriated
for the baroque era. Now I have another question. Why does
it happen?

Is the reason the smaller bore size?
Is the reason the smaller bell?
Is the reason the lighter weight (because it doesn't have
the low F side)?

I'm asking becouse some brands like Yamaha produce al the
models, including the descant, with the same bore. Some
other like Engelbert offer many bell sizes, but they are
interchangeable, for instance you can use a descant and a
double or triple with the same bell.

Sorry for too many technical questions, but I'm engineer

Once again thank you very much

2007/5/26, hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Richard, you missed the question and my answer probably.
> Playing high on a single Bb or on a double is not THAT
problem for a
> very good first horn, but getting the right tone quality
for baroque
> music is the other thing. The descant is just for that &
not to be
> used for things like the Schumann or Sinfonia domestica.
The descant
> is used for sound reason. Well, there are some extremely
high
> concertos from PRE-Classic or late Baroque, which require
the descant
> for sound reason & for the extremely high tessitura, not
for single
> high notes.

Behalf Of
> Richard
> Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 12:45 AM
> To: horn@music.memphis.edu
> Subject: [Hornlist] RE: Is it necessary a descant when you
have a
> triple?
>
> Robson Adabo de Mello wrote:
> Hello Guy
>
> Like I said before I'm not a horn play, I'm a trumpet
player, but I'm
> asking this question to my father-in-law.
>
> He has a double King horn (I don't know the model), and
now he's
> trying to play some baroque pieces that are extremely
high. In his
> opinion his sound is too heavy with his regular double.
>
> He's thinking about getting a new horn and now he has a
doubt. When
> you have a triple is it necessary a descant? For a person
that has a
> double, is it better get a triple or a descant?
>
> ************************
>
> One could hardly answer your question more eloquently than
Prof.
> Pizka's musical example. The suggestion to pull all the F
slides isn't
> all that practical, because, while it lightens the sound,
it also
> allows more leakage, so if the horn is worn at all, it
will tend to
> un-center it.
>
> More to the point, a descant horn is all very well, but I
have heard
> some extraordinary high playing on single Bb horns. Gail
Williams did
> the 1st part on the Schumann Konzertstück on single Bb
with our
> orchestra many years ago, and it was spectacular. If your
father plays
> a King other than the Eroica, a King model 1158 4 valve
single Bb
> would match the feel well with a lighter sound and very
easy response.
> There are a lot of them floating around - a very nice one
sold on eBay
> recently for less than $200. And of course there are many
other good
> single Bb horns around. The Yamaha YHR-321 and -322 are
very good and

http://music2.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/hans%40pizka.
> de

http://music2.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/robson.adabo%