I was very sad to hear of Walter's passing.  Everyone that ever met him knows
that he was an outstanding gentleman.

I first met him at a Horn Workshop that we had at West Virginia University in
Morgantown, WV in the early 70's.  I learned so much from him about horn
acoustics; knowledge that I have passed on to my students over many years.  One
vivid memory was during his presentation, he was showing off a new horn case.
He put a brand new Alexander in the case and threw it across the room at a
brick wall to he horror of the entire audience.  He seemed to get a kick out of
that stunt.

My son, Marc, finally got to meet him last year shortly before the workshop was
closed and moved to New England.  I was happy that he got to meet one of the
great legends of the horn world.  We will all miss him very much, but his
legacy will live on in the friends he made and the wonderful instruments,
mouthpieces, and leadpipes he produced over the years.

Hey Walter, maybe with you up there, the angels will quit honking on those
nasty trumpets and play the most Godly instrument: THE CORNO!

Luke Zyla
2nd horn, WV Symphony Orchestra