From: Greg Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
   > Hans's advice is invaluable.  You must suspend the valve section.
   > Then prevent other moving around and bumping into things or the case.
   > Make sure the latches cannot come undone easily, and wrap it with a
   > luggage strap.

   If anyone could put photos online showing how to prepare the horn for
   shipping or plane cargo, including the valve cluster immobilization, I
   think it would help everyone a lot. Brass Arts' instructions for
   shipping a horn are great, but a picture is worth a thousand words for
   many of us.

What pictures cannot show, and what packing cannot protect, is this
little gotcha:

Since 9/11 air security has the possibility of opening _any_ checked
baggage for inspection.  That is why it is a bad idea to lock
suitcases, since if security decides to inspect the bag they will need
to break the locks.

It happens only very rarely, but if an instrument case is selected for
inspection it will be opened without you being present, and the
instrument may be removed from its case by someone who has no idea how
to handle it, an even less idea how to repack it.  I believe there was
mention some time back on one of the lists about an inspector who held
a horn by a valve slide and dropped the whole instrument when the
slide came out.

Sometimes there is no choice, but putting a musical instrument in
regular checked baggage is an extremely hazardous practice.  I
wouldn't do it to any instrument I couldn't replace.

If you must, you should remove all the loose flotsam (oil, spare
mouthpieces, tools) from the case, since these things are dangerous if
repacked incorrectly.  Put them in your suitcase.  Take your choice
mouthpiece in carryon.