I know someone will correct me if I am wrong... I'm not 100% certain of the
date of composition off hand, but it was during the war era in Germany....
to give some comparison, James Watson was telling me about his trumpet part
for the trumpet sonata... on the top right of the page there was a swastika
stamped on it... Kinda puts it into contrast.. he also had a fabulous quote
about playing Hindemith..."No note must smile, if one does... you have
lost"  Not a ton of info... but some food for thought.