I've had the opposite experience with every one of my students in the
past 8 years.

Since I've started teaching in this area (Northern/Central VA), I've
found that all of my students only know how to play on the 'F' side of
the horn even if they own a double.  They're all started on single 'F'
horns and when they finally get a double horn, the band directors don't
actually teach the kids new fingerings.  In fact, I've had many of my
students say that the band directors have told them not to worry about
the thumb valve (trigger) as it's not really necessary except for
extremely high notes.

To this point, 100% of the students that have studied with me in this
area have come in this way.  To this point, all of them have switched to
using both sides of the instrument within 6 weeks or less and many in 1
single week.

With some of my first students I offered treats (gave a CD of their
choice if they did it in one week, McD's $5 gift certificate for 2
weeks, etc.)

After I found that it was possible to do this without much effort, I
simply told all of my future students how easily all of my previous
students had accomplished the switch and used that to encourage them.
It almost encouraged an implied competition.

Then, at every lesson, if they play it incorrectly (IE using the
inappropriate fingerings), I would stop them and have them do it again
with the right fingerings.  This has so far proven to be 100% effective
with no less than 35 students over the course of the past 8 years.

Once they're comfortable with the "new fingerings" I usually have them
play exercises on both sides of the instruments - meaning entirely on F
and entirely on Bb.  I like to use the Getchell 2nd Book for this as the
etudes are quite approachable and the range is quite decidedly "over the
break."  For what it's worth, it's also around this time where I start
introducing alternate fingerings and usually shortly precedes the time
where I introduce Eb transposition.  All of this happening in a short
amount of time and all seeming to be difficult (but in reality not too
bad), it usually gives the student a LOT of confidence - the impression
that they can conquer anything the horn has to offer.

I don't know if this helps, I just thought I'd give my account.

Cheers!

Jeremy

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7/30/2007 5:02 PM