Thank you, Hans for your response & explanations.

Hans wrote:

<Most people have problems stopping middle c (= c1) by hand. But why dont you read my posts where I explained how to do it: Do it with 12 on F horn & "mute" it down. It is not as edgy
as with the stop mute but better audible. <

Thank you very much, Hans, for your response & explanations. This will be very helpful to me. In the few minutes I had with one of the horns at Dillons, I did try fingering it 12 & found it a bit clearer.

<But when will you need it ? How often? As an amateur? >

How should I know?  I'm only an amateur!  ;o)

< Why you amateurs, why are you going for the extreme so often?>

Until now, I didn't know that stopped horn on middle C was considered "extreme." Gimme a break, buddy! On my Holton 179 I can easily play stopped horn with my brass mute all the way down to an F. Now I'm hearing for the first time that this is on the extreme end. Who knew? :o)

Please tell me, Hans, what else is considered "extreme" for an amateur.

Valerie