From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Valerie WELLS
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 2:37 AM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] RE: Stopped horn -- what's with middle
C?

Hans wrote:
<Valerie, while I admire the effort (money & time) of
amateur players invested in hornplaying, I also wonder very
much, why they too often seem to mount the hors backwards.
Many of you have still to struggle with technical & musical
basics, but talk about Strauss no.2, Alpine Symphony, Mozart
no.29, stopping extreme weak notes Notes which are weak for
the best professionals, where the professionals use all kind
of unorthodox tricks), but the same struggling amateurs
often commanded by complete knowledgeless conductors attempt
these notes the orthodox way completely helpless. I do not
understand why that is so. Is it a matter of lacking
knowledge or do they try to do it better than the
experienced professionals ? Tell me the reason for such
behaviour, please.>

Hans, there's a lot you don't know about my world.  I must
admit that I'm amused by your dizzy confusion over it, too!
Your world isn't my world.  I don't think I have the words
to explain to you what drives the amateur, except to say
that we do what we do because we love doing it!  :o)

Valerie, retired RN, having the time of my life riding my
horn backwards!!!!

PS. And, yes, doing the Alpine Symphony in the NW Mahler
Festival was a big kick for me & about 15 other amateur horn
players! HA!

de