I commemorated the event by playing his BBC recording of K 407, which I do not think was his finest performance. Prior to the first, I played all the Mozart concertos plus K. 452 (coupled on the same CD).

I'm most surprised by how times change. I attended my first IHS workshop in 1972, at Bloomington. At the time I was TOTALLY in Brain's thrall. I remarked to someone then that I was surprised that he pretty much wasn't mentioned at all the whole week. Whoever I was talking to--just one of my fellow attendees, not one of the "artists"--wasn't surprised. "After all," he said, "he's been dead for fifteen years."

Now it seems like Brain has been rehabilitated, possibly to beyond whatever reputation he had when alive. (I am too young to remember when he was alive. I also now have more ambivalent feelings about his playing than I did then.)

        In sum, times change.

And yes, this is the traditional "end of summer" holiday weekend in the U.S. I'm sure, as someone else said, that a lot of the "usual suspects" are away from home, computer, and CD player.

                                Howard Sanner
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________
post: [email protected]
unsubscribe or set options at 
http://music2.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/archive%40jab.org

Reply via email to