I have a King 620. I LOVE IT.  Yes the intonation is squirrely, as you say, and
here is how I deal with it:

  1. d1 I play 3

  2. I had Stu deHaro build me a f-attachment.  Call him. He is awaae that the
sleeves need to henseforth be made a bit longer.

  3. c2-f2 is a bit flat, You'll get used to it, and it won't be such an issue.

  4. It won't blend with a big orchesta section of 8D's but it did a great job
on 1st part for me in a Band w/mixed hornage and it's a DREAM in chamber music.

  5. Stu's leadpipe - which I am auditioning now - centers the intonation
exactly.  The tone gets a bit brighter - which you don't need in  symphony..but
gol-darn - its FUN to play!  It rips through technical stuff 123 and the long
elegaic stuff really sings.

  e-mil me off list and I can help you get your head around this little
INEXPENSIVE gem of an instrument./  BTW - John Dutton turned me on to this
horn. i got mine @Taylor Music for 500.00..

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake  up in the morning,
it's the best they are going to feel all day"

                     - Frank Sinatra