Some of the loudest playing that I ever heard, in Avery Fisher Hall - home
of the NY Phil, mind you, was the Kirov Orchestra under Gergiev, The same
forces also upped the wattage at the Met when they did the Ring last summer
(and I have heard many performances of these operas there under the
incredibly fine resident band), so I would hesitate to call this a uniquely
"American" phenomenon. I could cite other instances if I didn't find this
thread so tiresome already.

As I risk being accused of prolonging the same thread, I'll try to not wade
too deeply into the fray on this one. I find it incredibly pointless to
look at it as an "either / or" situation. Is it possible to defend loud or
moderate playing in absolute terms or might if be possible that context has
a little to do with it? I can think of many situations where blasting brass
benefits a performance (some sections of "Sacre" aren't exactly meant to
sound like tip-toe-ing through the tulips) and just as many where "less is
more" should rule the day. To return slightly to one of the accused
miscreants of the Philharmonic that appeared on TV the other night, I have
heard Phil Myers complimented as much for his ability to play with
exquisite tone and control at barely audible sound levels as for his
battering-ram multi-fortissimos, so I really feel we are dealing with a
straw man (I know I'm not using this precisely as it is defined, but it's
close enough) in this unnecessary argument. The issue is not loud or soft,
but is the music being served and are the audience's guts and soul being
thereby reached.

Peter Hirsch