M. Elizabeth Fleming wrote:
Prior to orchestra rehearsal today, I was approached by a conducting
student with a question in regards to a particular notation in the
Ravel orchestration of /Pictures at an Exhibition/:

In the first "movement", meaning "Gnomus", there is an indication in
the second horn part of "hauteur réelle" above a printed B-flat 2
*stopped* (in the middle of the bass clef).

"Real height" meaning that it's "new notation" bass clef.

I guess old notation bass clef is "wrong height" since it's written an octave "too low."

Greg