Jonathan. Not just for "for purposes of improved tuning or
special effects", but to correct intonation (in case you
play together with Bb-instruments for certain chords, you
must stay on the Bb-side), to ease fingerings, to get an
easier forte attack in the low (using Bb-fingerings), to
smooth a legato by lip slurs (staying on the F-side).

Steve, it is not too much for sixth-graders to cover both
fingering charts, Bb & F, but there are no different finger
charts, just shifted fingering charts for a fourth. It is
not too much, to ask the children remembering the finger
charts, as they do remember millions of games, channels,
writing short cuts, etc.  .... We just think about them in a
most antiquated way and children remember things much easier
than we do with our aged brain.  But we teach them in a
wrong way just fingerings instead make them able to
understand the harmonic series & the relations of the tones
each other. We use the wrong methods as they are SOOOOOOO
EASY, instead of using  the sound mix between playing &
theory progress. We want them to "ENJOY" playing as quickly
as possible. We want to hear them playing TUNES. That is
wrong. We have to teach them the ABSTRACTS first (takes six
months) & wait a bit to hear real results besides simple
chords & scales & long notes. So both sides have to be
patient. But after a certain period of time, the children
will be able to play on both sides of the double horn
equally. It takes two or three years first.

Or are we in the fun society only, where everything is fun ?
Life is not just fun. Life is a lot of work. And work & ist
result gives fun.