I got braces put on the second year of my playing, too.  As I wasn't very good
the first year (who is?) I didn't really notice any playing changes, other than
endurance loss due to the metal digging into my lips.  I got one of the plastic
bumper guards, and it helped with the cuts and the pain.  I was too young to
really notice anything about my playing, articulation and tone-wise, but I do
know that when I first started playing, I had a well-placed embouchure.  When I
got the braces off, the embouchure had changed. So, it might be a thing to keep
an eye on. I assume that I moved my lips to the most comfortable position for
the brace. I got them taken off the day before my high school marching band
camp started, and that was a treat.... it felt like everything was sliding all
over the place. But, playing 12 hours a day for 2 weeks straight, even though
it was on a mellophone, really helped with the adjustment period. By the time I
was back on my horn, I was playing better tha
 n ever
. Since the mellophone was new for me, and it's a horrible instrument, I didn't
have many issues with the post-braces adjustment. The thing that is killing me
almost 10 years later is the embouchure... I never really noticed it until I
got to college, because my private instructor just let it go. Now, I am in the
process of changing it, right before grad school auditions... I only wish
someone would have *made* me change it back when it went wrong. So, keep an eye
out...

Amy Krueger