Actually, you can probably get away with a little venturi enlarging on an
H-177.  The 179 pipes were made by just opening the venturi larger.  It seemed
to me that on Holtons of that vintage ('68) the mouthpiece went in a little
farther than on some other horns.  The real issue is probably the valves
anyway.  I'd have to bet at least $1.50 that the valves on any '68 Holton are
leaking pretty good.
    I like those old H-177s!  A local middle school around here has several of
them about the same age as yours.  They're beat to hell and the valves are
about as leaky as you can get, but they still play pretty good.  Now that's
good horn design!

- Steve Mumford