I have recounted the tale here before of the days (yes, it happened  more
than once) that I was booked to play a concert with a freelance  orchestra. I
repeat it to encourage the newbies.

At the start of the rehearsal I asked for the horn parts of the two pieces  I
did not know.  There were none.  The conductor apoligised and said  that that
being so, I was only needed for the Mozart Requiem in the second  half.
"But" I told him, disguising my glee as best I could, "there are no  horns in
the
Mozart Req".

He then spoke those immortal words that I have cherished ever since - "Then
you'd better go and see the treasurer".

I took my money and went home having split not a single note all day.

Cheers,

Lawrence

lawrenceyates.co.uk