Mr. Burian - I in no way took the comment seriously, nor did I infer that you
believed it wholeheartedly.  I have a great appreciation of satire, and even
sarcasm [which this wasn't], but was simply curios where the idea had come
from.  I have differed from you in the fact that I have enjoyed encouraging
people to believe that the horn is the most difficult instrument, when in fact
I have found it challenging, but not as hard as most would think.  As an aside
I don't have a specific opinion on what instrument the Devil plays himself but
if anyone out there recalls the cartoon "The Far Side"  there is one panel
where the devil is opening a door for a gentleman in tails.  Inside the room
are about 20 banjo and accordion players and the caption reads "the conductor's
room in hell"
  with good humour,
  Paxmaha

Steve Burian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hello list,
On the topic of Mozart's sacred music and the use of trombones and trumpets,
but not horn, in his Requiem, I made the comment:
"Besides, the horn is the instrument of the devil and we don't want that in a
sacred work, do we?"
  To which David Jewell asks where this idea came from. I have to admit, I
don't remember specifically how this seed was planted. It was really meant in
jest.