Mr. Burg wrote:  I may be thinking inside the box, but to me, Cavalcade
Competition is a big part of what's wrong with High School Music programs.

Dear Mr. Burg,
Perhaps it would be more precise to say that poor teaching is what is wrong
with some High School music programs.  Some of us use the marching band
experience as a fun way of blending music with movement and go to only a few
competitions for the educational benefits as well as the fun.  Some of us
produce a blended, in-tune, beautiful, "concert band" sound on the field rather
than encouraging our students to blast their guts out.  Some of us rehearse
their symphonic bands year round and treat their marching bands a a purely
extra-curricular activity.  The director is always the person responsible for
the quality of his/her music program.
CORdially,
Luke Zyla
director of bands at Parkersburg South High School
2nd horn, WV Symphony Orchestra