Hi. The fifth valve provides a concert F, or in other words all the partials of an open single F horn. The fourth valve often has two slides so you can switch to the concert A; very good for playing horn in E. The other slide is a bit longer to allow correction of about 3/4 of a step to allow correction of stopped horn. I don't know about five valve single F horns, but there are a number of single Fs (and double horns) with a stopping valve added into the mix. I use a Geyer 4-valve single Bb horn and have two interchangeable slide tubes for the thumb valve. It is very nice for "Auf dem Strom", for instance.

Another variant of recent vintage is the five valve Bb horn on which the fifth valve is an ascending switch from Bb to C Alto. Alexander and Paxman have both produced such models; I've seen them at IHS workshop exhibits. There may be others. My playing days are essentially over so I sold my Alex 102, a compensating Cor Ascendant. (The new owner seems to be well-pleased with his new acquisition.)

CORdially,

Paul Mansur