Yes, discussing MUSIC has a place on this list.  The subject breached  was
ELLIOT CARTER!

Reminds me of a story about Sir Thomas Beecham.  He was being  interviewed by
the BBC.  The interviewer asked "Sir Thomas, do you ever  perform the music
of Arnold Schoenberg?"  He replied "No. But I stepped in  some, once."

As to high f above high c,  the only time I've ever played them in  public
was during performances of the Schultz Concerto Ex Dis.   Several of them.
Didn't miss any.  Had a lot of 16th notes, so I  oiled my valves really well,
too.
 Ended the cadenza with a lip trill on a  high c.  Got paid a nice fee for
the gig.  Wouldn't have done the  piece for free, even at home, alone.  I was
lucky that the piece was all in  Eb and had very few rests, unlike Rigoletto.
Also lucky that the most  bars rest after the opening tutti was only four, so
no
problem counting  those on one hand.  Continuo player brought me in the first
time by yelling  "Now" really loud at the appropriate moment since the tutti
was 32 bars long and  I had run out of digits.  Since I was a 1st horn player
at the time, I was  use to having an asst. count for me and bring me in.  I
prepared by lifting  weights with my chops for months ahead of time.  Also took
my teacher's  advice as he states in his treatise, "Hooked on Hornonics."  I
practiced  Kopprasch No. 1 up an octave in Eb horn.  That way I played high g's
 routinely, and loud!  The f's in mf felt like third space c in  comparison.
Also got my front crowns re-cemented in with Crazy Glue.   Delta Dental did
not honor the claim.  Like I said earlier, insurance is a  racket  I got the
idea from that commercial on TV with the guy hanging from  the steel beam by
his
hard hat.  The reviewer for the paper  accused me of using steroids in order
to enhance my performance.  He  retracted the statement and apologized
publicly later after I explained in a  letter to the editor that Kopprasch was
not a
steroid, just good healthy  exercise.

Sorry to stray from music to discuss adhesives, steroids and critics.

KB

PS: If you receive a horn by UPS with loose braces because they dropped it
or whatever, file the claim, collect the money and then fix them yourself with
Crazy Glue thus pocketing the insurance money.  You can really scam them if
you buy an old junker on eBay, unsolder the braces and add a few dents, ship
it  to a trusted friend insured for $25,000 making sure they write "High Value
Item: $25,000" in magic marker on the box, bang up the box when it arrives
just  in case they didn't, file the claim for a totaled horn, collect the
money,
 let UPS keep the horn, have a big party, take a vacation to Hawaii or Las
Vegas,  whatever.  This works good with cars, also, but don't try shipping a
car
 UPS as they will make you double box it and you will spend more on bubble
wrap  and packing peanuts than the car is worth, unless it is an old Jugo or
Ford  Pinto.  If you ship a Pinto, make sure you write "FLAMMABLE" on the box
in
big red letters.

In a message dated 11/19/2007 1:00:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Richard  of