It is nice to see comments about Hidas and his music.  He has written a
very fine horn concerto which had been very popular in Europe about
10-15 years ago.  The concerto reminds me alot of Lalo Schifren's music
around his 'Mission Impossible' years.  Very interesting and jazzy.

I had known he had written several works for band, woodwind quintet,
and brass quintet.  However, when I was in Budapest, years back, I
stumbled across the Editions Budapest store (oh, my...) and was stunned
that he was so prolific.  He literally wrote for every instrument and
in almost all instrumental genres.

I have found his music to be quite engaging to the audience and very
worthwhile to work up as a performer.  His works can be challenging,
but the effort is well worth it.  If you are unfamiliar with his music,
you really should check it out.

I did notice that he passed away this past year.  He seems to be
universally regarded as a fine composer and a genuinely nice person.

Sincerely,

Dr. Eldon Matlick,  Horn Professor, University of Oklahoma
Principal Hornist, OK City Philharmonic
500 W Boyd
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4093 off. (405) 325-7574 fax