A few years back I accidentally borrowed another player's Conn 8D (since the
cases looked identical).

When I played it, my accuracy improved significantly; probably 30% fewer
missed notes.

His horn differed in two ways from mine -- his valves were recently redone,
and he had a Lawson lead pipe. My horn's valves were way out of tolerance at
the time.

My friend said fixing my valves would be a better, more economic fix. At the
time, since fixing the valves was cheaper, I had that done, and that did
signicantly improve my accuracy (my father bought it in 1967, it was played
from
then through 2007, sat in the closet for 20 years, then I resumed playing 8
years ago, and the valves had never been redone).

But my friend said that the lead pipe replacement also improves accuracy on
the Conn 8D, well-known for its wide latitude in pitches. But I had no money
then. Now, with a small inheritance, I do.

I am an amateur player the vast majority of the time (my lifetime
"professional" horn earnings, all in the last five years, are under $3,000!). I
am a
reasonably decent amateur player -- to be distringuished from a large number of
players in the Seattle-Tacoma area that I categorize as "underpaid
professionals."

Can anyone offer any input on the advantages of a replacement lead pipe? And
I understand that Lawson is not the only type of replacement lead pipe
available. What are the relative pluses and minuses of the lead pipes offered
by the
different companies making them?

Thanks for any help.

Ross Taylor