Orlando makes a good point. After using Alexander horns for ten years, it made a BIG difference to use a German mouthpiece. All of the Klier and Tilz mouthpieces I tried worked better than anything else I had used. The Paxman mouthpieces (including Halsead Chidell) were designed for a more varied array of horns, with the Paxman and Alexes being the most widely used in England, though 8-D's and Holtons are also popular. Once I got started on the mouthpiece research, it was more to educate myself as to what was out there, so as to have a larger range of options for my students, rather than as a search for a "magic bullet" for my own playing.

Once noteworthy characteristic of the English (Denis Wick should also be mentioned) mouthpieces is that they are designed to center on the harmonic, or slot, very strongly and to give a tone that has a lot of core. I find them a little more work is needed to achieve certain "poetic" qualities, but boy do they work great in the orchestra for loud playing, especially at the end of the day when one might be getting tired:)