Hello Listers:

From time to time on both lists during the past several years, individuals have written asking about Kruspe "serial numbers." The short answer to that is that Kruspe horns (and most vintage German horns) never had serial numbers given by the factory. What Kruspe horns often have engraved on the bell, however, is a DRGM number. This "code" has mystified many. At the risk of being expelled from the arcane horn organization known as Opus Doowah, let me demystify this "code". I'm able to do this now courtesy of William Melton, who kindly sent me a photocopy of a Kruspe catalogue from the late 1920s-early 1930s that includes some of those "code" numbers. Klaus Bjerre may have this information already on his excellent website, but I haven't found it. Apologies to Klaus if it is.

First of all, DRGM stands for "Deutsches Reichs-Gebrauchsmuster" which was a number assigned by the German government in the late 19th and early 20th century to register a design and protect it from being copied by other manufacturers. So, a horn that featured a new layout or combination of features could presumably be registered and a numbered certificate was awarded by the government. That's the number that is engraved on the bell of many, but not all Kruspe horns. Somewhere along the line, possibly in the 1930s, this seems to have been dropped. It also may not have appeared on horns made for export. Perhaps there is a German lister who knows more about this usage.

In any event, the catalogue identifies several Kruspe horn models by DRGM number. I'm listing them below in the hopes that it might help some vintage Kruspe owners to identify their horn model.

1. Full F/Bb double, "Modell Fritz Kruspe"  DRGM 232038
I've never seen this one in real life, but from the illustration it looks like it may not have a separate Bb tuning slide. Medium throat.

2. Full F/Bb double, "Modell Horner, Philadelphia" DRGM 232038
The same DRGM number! The layout is close, but there is a definite Bb tuning slide and it comes "mit extra weitem Becher and Mundrohr." I've never seen the term "Becher" (literally "cup" or "beaker") used for what I presume is the bell, instead of the more common "Schalltrichter," but perhaps it refers to the bell and width of the throat combined, or bell branch. Any clarification here would be appreciated. "Mundrohr" is mouth pipe. Large throat and mouth pipe.

3. Full F/Bb double, "Model Walter Kruspe" DRGM 1027194
Also known as the "New Symphony" model. It has a separate Bb tuning slide and medium throat.

4. Compensating F/Bb double, "Modell Gumbert-Kruspe" DRGM 295125
The F/Bb change valve looks smaller in diameter than the other valve and the the third valve slide is "squared off" rather than gracefully curved. "Gumbert" seems to be a typo for Gumpert.

5. Compensating F/Bb double, "Modell Professor Wendler, Boston" DRGM 888990
Somewhat different layout compared to Gumbert/Gumpert model and all valves appear to be the same diameter. Third valve slide is curved.

There are a few other horns shown without DRGM numbers, such as:

6. Bb single horn with F extension and stop/transposing valve, "Modell Lorenzo Sansone, New York"
Kruspe also made these as stencil horns for Sansone.

7. Bb single horn with F extension and stop/transposing valve, "Modell Gretsch, Brooklyn-N.Y." Similar layout to Sansone model, except that F extension crook is bent to lay flat over the entire valve chest, presumably to make access to the second and third valve slides easier than on the Sansone model.

8. Bb single with thumb valve for A transposition.

There is also a straight Bb single, three valves, and three single F horns, one with three valves, one with a thumb valve for E transposition, and a third, "Spanisches Modell," with and Eb extension actuated by a twist valve ("Stellventil").

This list is probably incomplete in many respects, as Kruspe continued to make changes and modifications on its horns over the years. I'd certainly appreciate and corrections or addenda to this list. If you're interested in learning more about Kruspe's role in the invention of the double horn, or the part that Gumbert/Gumpert and Wendler played in its development, you should read John Ericson's article in the February 1998 issue of the Horn Call. An updated version of it is available at:

http://www.public.asu.edu/~jqerics/double.htm

Richard in Seattle