There has been lots of discussion on the list lately about the efficacy of a new leadpipe, which leads to my next question. How much different will a particular horn play with a different bell flare. I have a 1 year old Atkinson with a rose brass bell and I've noticed I can't play as loudly as I could on my old 8D before the tone takes on that characteristic raspy edge. Any thoughts? Would a nickle silver bell flare in the 300,000 series size change the playing characteristics very much?

Jim McDermott
Deep into the Christmas concert season - 5 down, 5 more to go.
Lake Area Community Orchestra and Lake Chamber Ensemble.