Why is my hose out of tune?

I commute an hour and 15 minutes each way to work every day.  Recently,
I cut a piece of hose to be pitched in F.  Now on my way to work I can
warm-up and do a series of slurring and tonguing exercises on the hose
horn.  It has changed my life for the better.

I have a question for anyone who understands the physics of this.  For
some reason, my hose is badly out of tune.  The interval between the c's
(from the bass clef C to middle C and to the treble clef C) is very
badly out of tune.  It is naturally closer to a minor ninth than an
octave without lipping it in tune (which is substantially more difficult
on the hose than my horn).  Why would this be?  I assumed that any pipe
would naturally play octaves that are in tune with themselves.

Andy