Peter and all listers,
I have pasted below a message I received from Greg Williams

Joe, Steve;
I don't know Peter's address. You might want to forward this to him.
I got back at 3am last night after hanging with a bunch of horn players that
had come, literally, from near and from very far to see Jerome off. The
service is this morning in a couple of hours (10am 12/29). We were up so
late because for many years these same guys and I used to do the same thing
with Jerome the hangmeister. Without him is something I never really
contemplated because, like Peter and me and so many others, I truly wanted
to believe he had finally beat the cancer when he had been back and playing
with the section for a while I was also blind-sided to suddenly hear that he
was gone. I just knew it was a mistake. I didn't know how I was going to
deal with the emotion of seeing his large and close-knit family - but guess
what!? Both sides of Jerome's family are infused with that same upbeat,
loving and in the end accepting attitude. From his mother, who I met for the
first time, to his cousins, to Patricia's family to the children and
grandchild (Jerome Ashby - percussion) they are all sad but accepting of his
passing because he somehow accepted it. He was at home with his loved ones
and he passed in his sleep with a smile on his face(!) This guy was amazing
even then. In the end the sadness was overshadowed by memories of his humor,
his love for family and friends, his modesty and most of all the tremendous
"something" he had that made you, no matter who you were, how many or few
times you had met him, feel like you had a real friend in him. You never
forgot him. When I got to the chapel I admit to being very uptight at the
idea of possibly "loosing it" in front of so many people I didn't know. I
sat alone for awhile trying to collect myself when his daughter, Violeta,
came over to say hi and set me at ease. She then began introducing me and
guess what? by the time I left there wasn't anyone I hadn't met and the
evening, although sad, was spent with much laughter and reminiscences. His
daughters and wife were consoling us! His kids got a kick out of stories we
told them about "Popi" before he even knew their mother. They loved hearing
about how he lived and how he reacted when he first met Patricia. I could
see how much these stories meant to them and it felt so good to remember
them with the girls and us guys that had spent those early years with him.
In the end please remember that there are still a bunch of the Ashby family
and they are all a treat to be around. In the end, though, Dec. 26th. 2007
changed my world and very likely changed everyone else's.

Greg Williams