I understand that horn players prefer to use creative thinking, but each of
the major manufacturers of horns will supply the proper size bumpers to fit the
horns they make.  Your local repair shop really should stock a supply for all
the major brands, instead of putting in random sized ones, which is what most
shops seem to do.  The cost is not high, so shame them into it if you have to.
Then you can go there every 5 years or so and buy a new set for your horn for a
little change out of your piggy bank.  They will fit just right, maybe they'll
need just a bit of trimming and you'll be set for another 5 years.  I know, too
easy.  Sorry.
      I've never seen any of the factory ones have any trouble with swelling.
The Yamaha ones get kind of hard after a few years, no big deal, put in some
new ones.  The Yam. ones will also fit most European horns.  Holtons are kind
of cranky no matter what you use because they insist on using those &%^#*$
cheap-ass cork holders.  Very important to save that 35 cents for the bottom
line!  Anyway, you might have to bend them a little to keep the bumpers from
falling out.  Nice P.O.S. design guys!  Of course the older Holtons had the
holes for the cork plates drilled completely in the wrong spot so there's no
way to line the valves up right anyway.  There are 2 styles for Conns, old and
new.  The ones for the Elkhart and Texas Conns fit in nicely but almost always
need some trimming because the cork plates are rarely centered just right.

  - Steve Mumford