I don't know about tires in the old days. I only started autocrossing two years ago. Had to wait until the boys grew up and moved out.
Luke Zyla
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Haflich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "The Horn List" <horn@music.memphis.edu>; "Luke Zyla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Is new okay?

  From: "Luke Zyla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  I have a set of Kumho V-710 (205-55-14) that I have used for one
  season of autocross.  With the exception of only one tire, they
  still have several runs left in them.  One of the tires is toast: a
  section of tread about four inches in diameter peeled off to reveal
  the cord.

I think friend Luke mistakenly posted this message to the wrong group.
But since Luke will have to scrap at least that one tire, perhaps
needy horn players could ask him for small segments of the tire for
use as valve cork material.

In my day we made our own autocross tires.  Come morning I need to
check my rubber trees near the aligator swamp...