As your grandson has played trumpet for years, he could play his Bb-side with
the trumpet
fingerings, and the sonic result would be Horn in Bb Basso, sounding an octave
below the trumpet
like a circular Bb baritone.

Whether that is good from a pedagogical and sound development point of view is
quite a different
matter to be decided by his private instructor/teacher.

I started out on a 5 valve single Bb and ended having 4+ octaves minus low
written F# (concert B
natural). However there are different strategies in approaching the double
horn. Some national
schools only use the F-side where strictly necessary for lack of notes on the
Bb-side. Other
schools use more or less fixed breaking points between the two sides. As I
understand the virtuoso
Hans Pizka, he juggles between the two sides for getting the optimal sound,
technical ease, and
overall artistic expression in every single musical situation. That of course
is a very advanced
approach.

Not knowing the strategy taught by your grandson's teacher I still would find
it a bit sad if your
laudable enthusiasm promoted the approach I find the least productive: the
double horn being a Bb
horn with an almost superfluous appendix in F.

Klaus Smedegaard Bjerre i Korsør i nabolandet