Why making all this so complicated. First: get a mute ring
for your music stand. (the orchestra should provide it).
Second: hold the cone mute on ist end & stick it into the
bell but without "screwing it in". Third: at the end of the
muted passage just remove the mute & turn the upper side of
your hand inside the bell to keep intonation, while you
still hold the mute. Fourth: use the next short rest, to put
the mute into the mute ring. That´s it. Very simple.

Or: play the full passage "hand muted" (NOT HAND STOPPED),
which requires you to use the F-side & play all higher for
an half-step. After few exercises you will make it.

You could also hire several assistants to carry the mute,
put it into the bell & remove it in time hopefully, or carry
your horn ..... Just joking.

Why should it be necessary to ask the conductor if two or
four measures are delegated to another colleague just to
perform the things right. Conductors will not notice that
anyway, as their eyes are in the score most of the time &
they are so much occupied with their "own show" ........