From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:08 AM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] NYPO horns in Korea

This whole thread is amusing in what it reveals of the poster's
attitudes and I won't attempt to compound or rebut any specific post
other than to echo Debbie by saying we've all "been there, done that" on
some level when things just did not come together the way they were
supposed to for whatever reason.

To add on and redirect the thread a bit - I had the odd experience of
first hearing the Dvorak finale over the local NPR station and then
seeing it a few minutes later on TV. I don't know why they weren't
simulcast but instead the video had a 10 or 15 minute lag from the
radio. What was interesting was that, as the "big moment" in the last
movement approached, my wife (a hornplayer, too) and stopped chatting
and focussed on the music coming from the radio - da, dah, dat-deeee,
dah da doo daah -  flawless, plain as day and just as I've seen it in
Pottag and on the stand in the orchestra for 40 plus years, note for
note. My wife said "easy for him to say!" and then I decided to see what
was happening on TV. A few minutes elapsed and I get to see what was
clearly a total misfire; visible and audible. Nice editing job by  NPR
and kudos to the television crew for "keeping it real". At the end of
the broadcast, I saw a fund-raising promo offering a commemorative DVD
of the concert. I wonder which version will prevail.

As far as who was where in the section, I was a little confused. I have
to say that I only saw the Dvorak and not the rest of the performance
which might have made things clearer as to who was filling in as
associate and who were on third and assistant. What was clear was that
Phil played lead, Allen Spanjer and Howard Wall were the low horns. I
don't think it was Eric Ralske assisting (though I could be wrong on
this) and I have no idea if the tall, lantern-jawed third horn was the
new assistant  - Thomas Jöstlein (I just checked the orchestra's
web-site and it definitely appears to be him, so I take what I just
wrote back). My guess, since I didn't see the rest, is that Ralske
played principal on at least some of the other works and the bearded
assistant (I only counted 5 horns, though there may have been six
involved over the course of the concert) a sub since they have been down
a player since Jerry Ashby died in December. Maybe another NY area
freelancer (how about it, Debbie?) knows the identity of the mystery
man.

Cheers to all,

Peter Hirsch

2/26/2008 9:08 AM