Refer to Tom Hebert's DMA dissertation about the Court Orchestra in
Dresden.  Around 1718 works by Heinichen, Pisendel, et al. start employing
notes outside the harmonic series beyond the F-natural and A natural.  I
don't know any players who can "lip" e-flats and a-flats in the staff into
tune.  I think we have to infer that at least in Dresden, an early form of
hand-stopping was in use by this date.  This would make sense, as far as
Hampel being someone, then, who was expanding on a technique that was
already being used in Dresden in the previous generation.  The fact that
Bach was living in the Saxon political and cultural region and had his
music performed in Dresden, would lead one to the conclusion that this
hand technique was known throughout Saxony and Thuringia.  Telemann was
the first choice for Bach's Leipzig position, surely he would have known
about this practice.

Handel is probably another issue.  One of the horn histories, I believe
Morely-Pegge discusses a reference to the remarkable feature that a horn
soloist gave a concert in the early 1750's and played in different keys on
the same instrument.  This may very well indicate that the crooked horn
was a novelty in England at that date, meaning that the horns in use
before then were fixed-pitch hunting horns.  Note that Handel's parts
differ harmonically from Bach's.  Handel never writes the d and a (above
the staff) as a sustained harmonic interval, but Bach does this all the
time.  This one feature out of many, leads me to believe that we should
use the hand in Bach and play bell's up for Handel.  I'd love to get a
chance to just let the Handel parts fly with the out-of-tune partials
adding "piquancy" rather than using the nodal venting, which is of course,
completely un-historic.