My worry would be that stretching the receiver out to fit a "regular"
mouthpiece would change the size of the venturi also.  It would be easy to do
and there's a tool made for that purpose, but the result of that may not be
desireable.
       I've got a couple of the old King Schmidt models here.  I'm pretty sure
they have the same leadpipe taper as the later 2259 models from the 50s etc.
One has the original size receiver which only fits the old King H-2 or F1,F2,F3
mouthpieces.  It also fits a sheet metal mouthpiece from an old Kruspe - that
may have been what they were copying.  The venturi on that one is somewhere
around .287 -  fairly normal, a bit on the small side.  It plays very nicely
with the original F1 mouthpiece.  On the other one, somebody has stretched the
receiver to fit a modern mouthpiece.  The venturi on that one is opened all the
way to about .310 which is larger than most leadpipes designed on purpose.
That's a pretty radical difference.  I can't really assess the effect, because
the valves leak badly on that one so it's not going to play anyway.
      King made modern size receivers later on, they probably still have
leadpipes available to fit the old 2259 models but with the modern receiver.
Not bent for the old Schmidt models though.  I haven't tried one of those on an
older King, so no opinion.
      You could always have the mouthpiece shank modified to fit the horn, that
way you only risk the cost of the mouthpiece instead of the cost of another
horn.  The rims on those old style King mouthpieces are kind of uncomfortable
for me, maybe you could have one of those made into a screw rim and use a rim
that you like on the old cup.  You could also check with Moosewood, I have a
feeling he could make you a nice mouthpiece to fit.

  - Steve Mumford

 Kathy wrote:

OK, so King used to use a mouthpiece receiver that
only really fit with their mouthpieces. What's the
best approach for dealing with this if you want to use
a different mouthpiece? Can the receiver be modified,
or does the leadpipe have to be replaced?