From: Wendell Rider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 2:09:09 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: Phrasing, was changing tone color

On Apr 18, 2008, at 10:00 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> message: 10
> date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
> from: Herbert Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> subject: Re: [Hornlist] Changing tone color
>
> As well as being a fine teacher, Douglas is a singer, and he adds
> that perspective to his teaching.
>
> This brings up a question. We are taught not to de-emphasize pick-
> up notes, if not to emphasize them. However, when I am singing,
> pick-up notes are usually on weak syllables. How do I "sing on the
> horn" with these seemingly contradictory directions?
>
> Herb Foster

Hi Herb,
I'm not sure what you mean by "weak syllables," so maybe this won't
help, but pick-up notes and other weak beats are the most expressive
notes in music. That is where all expression begins. This was part of
what I was writing about in my article in the February Horn Call, if
you have it, and what I demonstrated on the video that is now sitting
on my web site.
This goes back to the ancient Greeks and their poetry. When you set a
piece or phrase in motion it is the weak beats or off beats or the
weak parts of beats that control the space between the stronger or
more static down beats. Its like starting to move your feet when you
walk, run or dance. The first move you make sets the tempo for when
the feet will come down again. Rhythm comes from what is in between
the beats. The pick-up note sets the whole phrase in motion.
Don't worry about syllables, if I catch your meaning. Get into the
flow, which is controlled by the arsis, or weak beats, that come
between the static, or thesis, beats. Syllables are parts of words
that contain vowels. Its just a definition. How the "syllables" of
music work together is phrasing and musicality. Great singers do the
same thing that all great musicians do, and that is to phrase with
the weak beats.
Sincerely,
Wendell Rider
For information about my book, "Real World Horn Playing", the DVDs
and Regular and Internet Horn Lessons go to my website: http://
www.wendellworld.com