Now, suppose that two valves acted up. You would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Wouldn't it it solve the problem if you knew how to play the natural horn?

youngjim80

On May 14, 2008, at 10:31 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Tim, I would venture to say that something similar has happened ALL of us. You play a lot in front of people and something is bound to go horribly wrong at some point in your career.

Of course this is a great reason to know all your alternate fingerings "dead cold".

Dave Weiner
Brass Arts Unlimited

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Kecherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Hornlist <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:21 pm
Subject: [Hornlist] Falling Apart

Hello, All.

I have an interesting (and somewhat embarrassing) story to tell. I am a senior at the local high school, and tonight was my final concert. One of the songs we played was an adaptation of the Lord of the Rings Symphony by Johan De Meij. At the beginning of the piece (the "Gandalf" section) my horn decided it didn't like me. As I was playing a solo, my third valve slide on the F horn slipped out and fell with a clatter to the stage floor. I kept playing, though my mind was racing. I couldn't get the slide again until the end of that section. I was mortified. Has this sort of thing ever happened to one of you?

--
Tim