Here's another choice that will work for a severely tarnished unlacquered
horn with deep dark brown or green spots, the kind that would take hours to
polish out with a normal polish.  Penny Brite is made with a "food grade citric
acid".  It's very slightly abrasive, but the mild acid will do most of the
work.  That all sounds bad, but it's not destructive stuff.  I only use it on
really tough jobs.  It will produce a dull yellow finish that is then easy to
polish all shiny with regular brass polish.  I like Wright's brass polish
personally.  The Penny Brite will also leave a slightly reddish hue near any
soldered areas.  That will also polish out easily.  Just to be on the safe
side, I spray it down with a glass cleaner containing ammonia to neutralize the
acid in the Penny Brite, then rinse with water.  Google for it, they have a
website that will tell you where to find it locally, or you can order it
online.  The parent company is EZBrite Brands.  Oh, full disclosure,
 they pay me one million dollars a year to recommend their product.

  - Steve Mumford