This question somehow reminds me of a story told about one of our local freelance tuba players. He played an entire performance of the Nutcracker with a mouthpiece he carved out of a potato shortly beforehand. The sad thing was how good it sounded, he said.

Bob

******
Robert N. Ward
Principal Horn
San Francisco Symphony
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS: Ashley: get a metal mouthpiece - you'll be happier. And try out a bunch before you buy.