Michael,
If I can put it very simply - and your answer may be more complex -

The tongue never starts the tone.  The tone begins when the lips
vibrate sufficiently to generate the tone.  The principal function of
the tongue is to provide a clean beginning to the air flow.  Take a
moment (or two) to analyze what is going on when you produce your sound.
 My hunch is your tongue is interfering with both your air stream (not
releasing the air cleanly) and your vibrating surface (touching or in
some way disturbing you lips just when you begin to play).  Either or
both of these would cause a hesitation in the beginning of the true
tone.

It is certainly a problem that can be "fixed" with careful observation
and practice.

Best
Chris

>>> Michael Kolaghassi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/11/08 12:45 AM >>>

Hey everyone,
It's been a couple years since I posted, I've come back after a hiatus.
 I've noticed I have fuzzy attacks that give my sound a "brraaah"
quality.  It is especially prevalent when trying to begin a pianissimo
attack in the middle register.
I've noticed that my tongue isn't really hitting the back of my teeth
in that range but is more towards literally touching the biting surface
of my teeth...
In the low register my attacks are way off and sound very sloppy and my
tongue comes into contact with the back of my upper lip.  I try to place
my tongue so that it doesn't hit my lip but then it seems to disrupt my
ability to even produce the lower notes. I can't seem to generate a firm
staccatto in that range or even a clean attack...any suggestions?
Thanks,
Michael K.