Hey Larry -

That's a (sort of) tough question to answer. First thing to consider - how do you sound without being amplified? If it's *almost* there but just needs a little boost, that's one thing. If you're completely inaudible or darn near it, that's another. I'll work off of the assumption that you just need a little boost.

Also, it entirely depends on the type of microphone (both pick up pattern and mechanical operating properties). Again, we'll work off of assumptions here. The assumption being that, since it's the "standard" sized vocal mics from the church, you're probably talking about a Shure SM 58 or similar (at the very least, a dynamic mic versus a condenser though there are a handful of "standard sized" handheld mics that are condensers.) That being said, another assumption is that the pick up pattern is a pretty tight cardioid or in other words, pretty directional.

With all of these assumptions out of the way, let's get rolling with a solution.

Under no circumstances should you place the mic in or just outside of the bell. The sound won't get warmer and fuller as it propagates into the hall. My advice would be to place the mic in front of you. For assistance with picking up a little more attack, place it on or about on the plane of the bell but roughly 3 feet or so in front of you aiming towards the bell. If you aim it up towards the body of the horn, you'll get a more resonant tone but one that will likely result in a quick feedback. If you want the more resonant tone (probably not, but play around and see) you'll want to come from about your eye level and aim the mic down to the body of the instrument, again about 3 feet or so out. Much further than this with a dynamic mic (a la Shure SM58) and you really start to lose the sound and start to risk major feedback. Your sound board operator is going to need to cut a little at 300-400 Hz to avoid feedback anyway, but you don't want the guy to have to work too hard, right?

Cheers-
Jeremy

Larry Jellison wrote:
Where do you think the microphone should be placed for soloing in a large
sanctuary (accompaniment is amplified).  One of the church standard size vocal
mics on a stand will be used.  I'm using an 8d.  Based on my trials at home
using a microphone, it seems that a few feet in front and to the side of the
bell would work.  If the mic is moved backwards toward the rear of the bell,
all the undesirable sounds (any buzz, valve sounds) get picked up and the tone
gets bright yet has clarity.  I won't have time to experiment in the church.
If the mic location is toward the rear of the bell, does the sound coming out
of the house speakers mellow and darken as it travels toward the audience?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Larry