Dawn,

Sulfur (sulphur in British English) can be found almost everywhere. It is an essential component for life, and there is sulfur in almost all biological products.

What matter most for the purposes of the questions you have is the chemical form of the sulfur. This can be easily appreciated as the difference between the sulfur in sulfuric acid and the sulfur that is found relatively high concentration in the protein that makes up your hair.

Sulfur is indeed found in (natural) rubber compounds--it is the addition of sulfur to rubber that is essential to the "vulcanization" process that makes rubber the useful stuff that it is.

Sulfates are generically the class of chemical compound which contain SO4 (that is, one sulfur atom and 4 oxygen atoms) as an ion (sulfuric acid, lead sulfate, sodium laurel sulfate {in your shampoo} etc.);

Sufites contain the SO3 ion--they are used as food preservatives and allergies to sulfites are relatively common.

Sulfides contain sulfur as a negatively charged ion.

Latex allergies are allergies to the proteins that are found in latex, which is made from the sap of the rubber tree..

Sulfur might be found in the linings of your instrument case depending on what material is used. Sufides are pretty reactive, and will cause corrosion of metal. The tarnish you see on metal can include copper or nickel sufates.

That's probably more chemistry than you really care about.

Carlisle