I don't know the European health system Hans, but I don't know that it is
free or at no charge there.  The problem is, here in the US, many students
are pushed well past the point of poverty just trying to put themselves
through school.  With tuition being $30,000 to $40,000 for many of the nicer
schools and ~$15,000-$20,000 for state/local schools, paying an additional
$200 a month for health insurance is a *luxury* that many young students
find themselves living without.  Is this smart?  No.  Is it universal?  Yes.
I'm certain that there are many European youngsters who arrogantly defy the
system thinking they'll never find themselves in the Emergency Room.  The
concept of a student being mandated to purchase healthcare is a novel one,
but sadly an approach that would not work here in the US given that
healthcare is completely privatized.

However, most universities do provide an infirmary of sorts.  I recall in my
school age years, I got a violent stomach virus (as did over 75% of the
campus) which dehydrated me to the point of hallucination (unless my dog
really WAS talking to me...)  The school's nurses helped me back to health
and I never recall seeing a bill or an increase in my tuition.  I don't know
if this is normal or not since I'm quite blissfully ignorant to matters of
public/private healthcare systems.

On the other hand, after I was married and on my own and out of college (no
longer covered by my parents' health care plan), I was too poor to afford
healthcare.  In fact, my wife and I lived on her wages of $4.25 an hour and
my commission only wages (about $100 a week) with a rent of $325.  Health
Insurance was quoted to us at $700 a month.  We were living on chicken
drumsticks, corn dogs and top ramen.  We certainly couldn't afford $700 a
month!

Health care is a major concern and in my opinion a very relevant issue to
this list (considering there are so many young people on this list who
probably could care less about health insurance until they need it.)
Another topic related to this would be dental care and dental insurance.

Not everyone's system of insurance is the same and despite (or more likely
"because of") how much American's pay for insurance and healthcare, it is
amazing the consistent level of quality care that is available at even the
farthest reaches of the country.  Students should (where possible) take
advantage of this but that doesn't mean they will or can.

Cheers-
Jeremy