2008/9/23 Mathew James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hey list,
> I am hoping some people can enlighten me in summer orchestral programs that
> occur in Europe. With a special interest in Germany and Austria. The next
> summer preparing begins HOORAY!

Not Germany or Austria, but one I can wholeheartedly recommend is the
Rehearsal Orchestra, which meets for a week in Edinburgh, usually in
the 2nd or 3rd week of August. they don't have next year's programme
published yet, so keep an eye on their website
www.rehearsal-orchestra.org

Very high standard - you are talking experienced amateurs and
college-level students, and the conductors and string principals are
all experienced professionals. A significant proportion of the
professional players in the UK have been through the Rehearsal
Orchestra at one time or another. Simon Rattle was a percussionist
there when he was about 15 :-)

They get through about a dozen pieces during the week. They have 4
sessions a day of 90 minutes each. A symphony will be rehearsed for a
couple of sessions. A tone poem normally for one session only. They
will choose a couple of the pieces to include in an informal concert
(termed an "open rehearsal") at the end of the week, to which friends
& relatives can be invited. You have the evenings free to go and see
shows at the Edinburgh Festival or Fringe.

Regards
Jonathan West