To: "horn list" <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:12 AM
Subject: [Hornlist] breath support (double post)

(I just realized I posted this response to the wrong list. So sorry for double posting.)

Neuro,

IMHO Mathew gave a very good discription of good breath support. But reading about good breath support and actually doing it are two different things. I came back to horn 2 1/2 years ago after a 33 year hiatus. I had a qualified private instructor who tried every angle imaginable to get me to breath correctly. I just didn't get it. I finally got some real help when I bought Wendell Rider's book, "Real World Horn Playing." Wendell has some super simple exercises in his warm up that teach you want to "feel for" and "listen for" that really helped me know when I was doing it correctly. I couldn't possibly explain it here, so I'd strongly recommend you get his book. I use Wendell's book and my Jeff Smiley book every single day.

Another thing that Wendell taught me that seriously helped my breathing was to inhale as silently as possible. When the throat is wide open, large volumes of air pass quietly & efficiently. I was constricting my throat as well as sniffing through my nose when I inhaled which sounded like someone getting a sudden fright. I started taping my playing and it was very embarrassing to actually hear how much noise I was making w/ each inhalation. I'd been playing this way for over a year and changing the habit was a challenge. Now you might think this is kooky, but what forced me to finally stop sniffing on inhalation was to wear a swimmer's nose plug for a few minutes every day during my warm up. Old bad habits have a way of sneaking back up on me from time to time, so I still occasionally record myself to monitor my breathing.

Valerie in Tacoma