Quoting Dawn McCandless:

Have no idea what the medical term is for it now. A young person wants to l=
earn to play the horn.=A0 He has that extra skin on the bottom of his tongu=
e. The doctors left it there since it wasn't affecting his speech. He can t=
ouch the back of his teeth and can reach his tongue at least to his lower l=
ip.

From your description, it sounds like he can manage all the syllables (tah, tawe, duh, et al.) that people teach in horn playing. If not, it seems to me his speech would be affected at least a little.

So, given that, I suggest starting him on horn and seeing how it goes. Even if he has some troubles, the body can be very good at adapting. Also, he just wants to learn to play and enjoy music, from your description; so it isn't like he's intent on having a major career and investing so much time and money in the pursuit of that that he'll quickly be where he can't afford not to continue.

IMHO, multiple- and flutter tonguing are not central enough to horn technique to let an inability to do either affect the decision.

Howard Sanner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]